Inside you will find 20 comprehension passages! These passages are focused on geographic, historical, government/civic, and economic understandings. Each page is a basic explanation of the specific area addressed. The passages are easy to follow and read. They are great to use for extra practice or a comprehension check after a lesson. They were not created to teach a completely new skill - but to supplement your students' prior knowledge of the targeted areas. Each page includes a title, picture, short passage, and three comprehension questions. There are 2 options of "reading journal" covers included if you wish to make this resource into a special social studies comprehension journal!
This mega pack includes differentiated, first-grade appropriate reading passages for social studies. There are many ways to creatively use this resource in your classroom. Each topic has a passage with 4 short answer questions and an answer key. There is an additional version of the passage that has the same text but is modified (differentiated) by the question format. For students who are struggling writers or need accommodations, you can still assess their reading comprehension and understanding of the concepts with check the box ☑ format questions. List of topics included was derived from the Georgia Standards of Excellence for First Grade but are NOT specific to the state of Georgia and can be used anywhere and even in other grade levels.
Perfect for a variety of uses- guided reading groups, centers, whole group listening comprehension practice, character studies, sub plans, maternity leave, & more! Simply decide which students need a modified version, print accordingly, and push play for the audio/video/visual version of the text. Passages can be used with or without audio. The audio version will even review the answers with the students, truly making it an independent activity if you wish.
Going deeper into nonfiction texts is essential to student mastery of common core standards. Want ways to integrate social studies and science content into your nonfiction instruction, while differentiating for the needs of all learners? Look no further than these First Grade Georgia Social Studies Standards of Excellence differentiated reading passages and comprehension questions. In this product, there is a leveled text based on EVERY GSE STANDARD!
⟶ Benjamin Franklin
⟶ Thomas Jefferson
⟶ Lewis & Clark (and Sacagawea)
⟶ Theodore Roosevelt
⟶ George Washington Carver
⟶ Ruby Bridges
⟶ Life Then & Now (Comparing modern times to historical figures)
⟶ Location on a Map or Globe
⟶ Parts of Earth's Surface
⟶ Continents & Countries
⟶ Earth's Surface Features (Landforms: desert, plain, plateau, mountain, valley, coast)
⟶ Positive Character Traits (references historical figures above)
⟶ My Country 'Tis of Thee
⟶ America The Beautiful
⟶ Goods & Services
⟶ Wants, Needs, Scarcity, & Resources
⟶ Producers & Consumers
⟶ Saving & Spending
• Textbooks aren't what they used to be...if we have them at all. Often textbooks are written well above grade level and simply aren't interested. I use my love of history to make passages engaging and informative for all levels of readers!
• Teach across the curriculum! Show your administration how you integrate and differentiate by implementing during guided reading groups, center time, or in a regular social studies block
• Perfect for last-minute print & go sub plans, morning work, & homework
• In my own classroom, they are often used at the end of a unit for review, as study guides, and even test prep
• Have students with accommodations? Instantly assess them at THEIR LEVEL while meeting IEP goals!
• Your time is precious & the standards are plentiful
By integrating across content whenever possible, you save time and your students see connections across the curriculum!
• Differentiated Instruction is no longer optional-it is a must! There is no one-size-fits-all classroom. These passages are an easy way to check that off of your never-ending teacher to-do list!
• Reach your entire class with the same quality content. Each student in your class deserves a fair chance at the content. Let their passion for science and social studies thrive, regardless of their reading ability. While passages appear very similar, I can assure you hours of researching and writing have occurred on my behalf to ensure that each level is appropriate for your learners.
Thanks for your support & Happy Teaching!-Bowtie Guy & Wife
© 2019 Bowtie Guy This purchase is for you and your classroom. Duplication for an entire school, an entire school system, or for commercial purposes is strictly forbidden. Please have other teachers purchase their own copy. If you are a school or district interested in purchasing several licenses, please contact me for a district-wide quote.